Re: What if a job in DBMS_JOB executes more than the INTERVAL?

From: Andy Hardy <newsnov01_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 20:23:09 +0000

In message <dX388.2321$Zu6.4247_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au> , Jesus M. Salvo Jr. <john_at_softgame.com.au> writes
>According to the Oracle docs:
>
>"The INTERVAL date function is evaluated immediately before a job is
>executed. If the job completes successfully, the date calculated from
>INTERVAL becomes the new NEXT_DATE. If the INTERVAL date function evaluates
>to NULL and the job completes successfully, the job is deleted from the
>queue. "
>

>So INTERVAL is calculated BEFORE the job is executed, and INTERVAL becomes
>NEXT_DATE after the job is completed. If my understanding is correct, this
>mean that if the job, for whatever reason, took more time such that it
>actually was still running at the time of the next interval, and then
>finished running .... the job will never run again .... because by the time
>the job finished, NEXT_DATE will be INTERVAL which has already passed.
>
>Am I right?

No, the Interval/Next_date indicate the time after which the job should next be run. If that time has passed for some reason (e.g. frequency that jobs are run, the number of jobs in the queue, etc.) the job will be run as soon as possible.

Andy

--
Andy Hardy. PGP ID: 0xA62A4849