Re: outer join

From: damorgan <dan.morgan_at_ci.seattle.wa.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 17:48:25 GMT

There are many alternatives to an outer join. Jim Kennedy suggested a UNION which is one.

But without understanding what you are trying to do any answer is just a wild guess.

If you would post the SQL statement you are trying to optimize someone could actually help you.

In addition to the SQL statement also supply the following:

  1. What indexes are on the columns in the WHERE clause
  2. The number of rows of data in each table in the query

My ad hoc whine of the day: "Why oh why oh why do people post the bare minimum amount of information when asking for help and expect those offering help to make guesses as to what they are doing? On what hardware? With what versions of operating system and Oracle? etc. Do their ISPs charge them by the character? Is there some unwritten rule of which I am unaware that says that it is better to supply too little information rather than too much?

Daniel Morgan