pls help with 8.1.7 and SuSE 7.3!

From: G.A. <gstromquist_at_nospamyahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 17:23:40 GMT

Here's whats happened so far...

Installed, albeit with some headaches, 8.1.7 on SuSE 7.3 pro, Oracle is up & running, or so it seems anyway. I can open svrmgrl and sqlplus and connect to other databases on the network. The gui's seem to come up ok, (after typing "unset LANG") and do what they are supposed to do, with the exception of dbassist.

Have run dbassist several times, at one point it has gotten far enough to create the directory structure, once it actually created the scripts when I asked it to (they wouldn't run), but mostly it hangs, I let it go overnight just in case it was taking that long, but nothing.

I tried using typical install, custom, you name it, same results. This is from the downloaded tarball, not a CD.

Tried to create a database manually, got errors that oracle was not available. Now for some reason, I'm not sure why, I just get the ORA-03113 error when starting svrmgrl. Try to run dbstart and get an error saying it can't find the init<sid>.ora file, I created an init file manually and put it in $oracle_home/dbs, where dbstart expects to find it. (as well as in the pfile directory in /opt/oracle/admin/<sid>, just in case)

I've read the howto's from Suse and Oracle and others, but obviously I missed something and still am missing whatever it is, what to do?

It's probably as plain as day right in front of me somewhere, but I'm juggling getting this up & running with my other DBA duties and havent been able to dedicate a lot of time to it. My main goal is to set this up as a test environment, get the management server on it running and create another repository for OEM.

THEN, maybe I'll tackle an install of 9i on it, (perhaps I should have done that first?)

suggestions? Received on Wed Feb 06 2002 - 11:23:40 CST