Re: RAC vs OPS

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 17:23:52 -0000

I think Slava's point is that in a fairly busy system, a block could move across the interconnect before the first change had committed. In a non-RAC environment, this could mean that the redo would not be written for a couple more seconds (i.e. until the 3-second timeout, or until the next commit irrespective of who did it). However, in an RAC environment, uncommitted redo could be written 'prematurely' because the local instance uses the cross-instance call from the remote instance as another trigger for writing redo.

Of course, this is just the same as it used to be in the old OPS ping, since a block can NEVER be written before the redo protecting the last change has been written; so Oracle is not adding an overhead that is new for RAC __when compared with OPS___ by doing this; nevertheless there is still some potential for busier disk activity in an RAC system than in a non-RAC system.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Now running 3-day intensive seminars

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of: