Re: Is it necessary for a DBA to learn JAVA?

From: Henning Follmann <H.Follmann_at_gmx.de>
Date: 06 Feb 2002 09:00:31 -0500

u518615722_at_spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net (Mike F) writes:

> With oracle more and more involved in JAVA, there are a lot of stuff in
> my database that I do not know, like JAVA Class, is it necessary for us
> to learn JAVA, or as long as we know how to install JVM following the
> procedure, is that good enough?
>
> Any suggestion?

I think it is worth learning Java, especially because Oracle uses java a lot.
But for a DBA I think Perl should be _The_ second language. You will have to deal with more system management than whith programming issues. For System administration perl rocks, so I prefer perl. But Java on the other hand gives you also many features. In a development team it helps to understand your team members, so if your team uses java I definetely would learn java to increase the "overlaping knowledge".

Henning

--
Henning Follmann          |   hfollmann_at_itcfollmann.com
it consulting             |  http://www.itcfollmann.com

-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!  ==-----