Re: Is it necessary for a DBA to learn JAVA?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 12:59:27 GMT

Mike F doodled thusly:

>With oracle more and more involved in JAVA, there are a lot of stuff in
>my database that I do not know, like JAVA Class, is it necessary for us
> to learn JAVA, or as long as we know how to install JVM following the
> procedure, is that good enough?
>
>Any suggestion?

Yes. Learn Java if you feel like having a background language for those ocasions when a shell script and/or SQL or PL/SQL won't do. Just about level with Perl or C in terms of practical use, I'd say. At this stage.

I find knowing the basics of it quite useful. If nothing else because sometimes there are things I just can't do in PL/SQL and I need more programming power. And C or Perl is not always immediately available or ported to the platform I'm using.

Java being like Oracle practicaly universal, it fits the purpose.

Now: do I need Java to be a DBA? Not bloody likely!

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Wed Feb 06 2002 - 06:59:27 CST