Re: index never used

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 11:05:14 GMT

franz.mueller_at_orbis.de (franz mueller) wrote:

>I have a DB, that has a huge amount of indices. I am would bet that
>80% of them have been added by people not knowing what they are doing,
>and therefore are never used. How can I monitor those indices. I use
>8.x

Franz, users havd no place adding indexes, or designing tables, in the first place. I would even say that 80% of programmers are clueless in this regard - they simply view it as a fast access path. The more paths, the merrier.

[rant]
I am not sure how to fix this problem. I sit with a similar problem. I have ranted and raved about it. I tried to explain in long e-mails. I offered my assistance. A spontanous round of indeference meets each attempt.

Having a table where the total indexes space used for that table is _larger_ than the table itself (and this is a billing system table mind you - not a data warehouse or DSS table). Where the set of 5 or so indexes, index the _same_ set columns in different sequences and combinations... but still, it is "their" code, "their" database and "their" application. Although they just live to point the finger to the DBA and Oracle when it comes to performance issues.

One thing that is always missed when people post here about what qualifications a DBA should have, what a DBA's job description is.. the number one thing they forget.. Dealing with political and office bullshit when it comes to DBA duties.
[/rant]

--
Billy