Re: Is it necessary for a DBA to learn JAVA?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:04:58 -0000

I disagree.

I'd agree with koert54's list of essentials, but the second part of his list is right on. what is important is for you to know the technologies your developers and the third party suppliers are using. For example we use (almost) no java at all. We do however use intermedia and asp extensively. Guess what I spend a lot of time reading up on? Clearly if we ran a sun/apache/ejb environment my priorities would be somewhat different.

However and appropo the discussion about the '3 year DBA', the other key requirement in my view is a continual willigness to learn and critically evaluate. Thus I'd suggest that any new technologies are worth the research, but bear in mind that the benefit to your employer from researching them may not always be immediately apparent to the employer.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

"Ganesh Raja" <ganesh_at_gtfs-gulf.com> wrote in message

> I would like to disagree to this.
>
> Oracle is moving towards java and as a DBA i would surely like to learn
JAVA