Re: Is it necessary for a DBA to learn JAVA?

From: damorgan <dan.morgan_at_ci.seattle.wa.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 00:18:00 GMT

No.

The second language for Oracle DBAs is Korn Shell (or Perl) scripting.

All this JAVA stuff makes great marketing copy and helps differentiate Oracle from Microsoft. But JAVA still has not reached the critical mass in most Oracle environments needed to make it a necessary basic. And I doubt it ever will (meaning in the next 3-5 years).

Daniel Morgan