Re: Saving data when disconnected?

From: David Warren <david.warren_at_charter.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 23:19:20 +0000

Phoric wrote:

> > But what fascinates me is ... why do you care? If you have more than one
> or two
> > people disconnecting by accident a year you have a configuration problem
> > somewhere. If they are doing it intentionally because they are working
> their way
> > to dementia ... consider replacing them with competent employees.
>
> Because we have an employee that works off-site and uses a Internet
> Connection and Terminal Server to access our central network & database.
> Occasionally they will loose their connection (DSL) and there be bumped off,
> loosing any information they were currently working on.

The timeout you are hearing about is in NT terminal server, not Oracle - databases
should and do rollback if they lose their connection.

With the terminal server timeout, they can reconnect within a short time and their
entire desktop will be intact. I'm not a terminal server person so I can't tell you how
to set it up; I've only seen it work.

-David. Received on Tue Feb 05 2002 - 17:19:20 CST