Re: Oracle Server and WinProxy

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 06:40:46 +1100

I won't give you the usual lecture about 'Oracle should be nowhere near a PDC because performance will be woeful as the machine services its PDC duties and therefore neglects its Oracle ones'... I presume this is just a test database or similar where performance isn't the issue.

It would also be most hypocritical of me, since my PDC happily runs 8.1.6, 8.1.7 and 9i -oh, and Winproxy, too. :-)

The trouble with Winproxy is that it's got its own DNS server -oh, and its own DHCP server, too. Given that my PDC (well, in W2K its not really a PDC but the 'root of a forest' -something terribly ecological, anyway) does sterling duty as both DNS and DHCP server in its role as host of the active directory, I have no need for secondary servers (which confuse the poor network, anyway). I therefore make sure that those options in Winproxy are turned off (settings - protocols). The network is stable, with no weird error messages being reported in any of the event viewers. Connection to Oracle is then not a problem either: my tnsnames files simply state that the listener is on server "mozart", and the domain's DNS does the rest.

Regards