JDBC 2.0 and array handling without Oracle casting?

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2002 11:37:08 -0600

I am reading Guy Harrison's High Performance Tuning book and in the Using and Tuning Oracle Java he says that Oracle supports JDBC 2.0 and JDBC 2.0 has the ability to deal with arrays without having to make any Oracle specific casting.

    Statement stmt = DefaultConnection.createStatement();     stmt.setFetchSize(20);

    ResultSet rset = stmt.executeQuery

              ("select blah");

    rset.next ();

I go out and search the weblogic newsgroups and they pretty much say that Oracle's implementation doesn't support it yet. I have just spent awhile coding up a parameter parser which builds PL/SQL tables within procs so the java code just passes in strings. (A big shout out to the Tom Kyte site, his examples helped immensely and I learned a bunch while doing this)

It would be nice to have Java pass in an array and not have to parse it, but I don't want to run down the testing and setting up of this route unless it should work. The client will be satisfied with what I've coded, but would be ecstatic if we could do the JDBC 2.0 implementation.

Can anybody comment?

--
Galen deForest Boyer