Re: hot backup archivelog the online-redo files and Oracle locks up

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 19:06:06 +1100

Does migrating from England 8 years ago count? I've been told I shall be a Pom forever, but I do like pie floaters and the Adelaide Crows... surely that counts???

Let me sit down and relax for an hour or so (it's been a hard day on the Performance Tuning course --"What's a Server Process???" -- and I'll look at the alert log stuff and get back to you.

Regards
HJR "obakesan" <cjeastwd_at_powerup.com.au> wrote in message news:666a787e.0202042213.5d3bc8d0_at_posting.google.com...
> [...]
>
> just wonderin, I'm from Queensland
>

> > > My present understanding of these is that I need to keep all of these
from
> > the
> > > time that the database is started in order to do recovery.
> > >

> > No. You only strictly need to keep archives from the time the last
backup
> > started (hot or cold, it makes no difference).
>
> so, if I do a hot backup, is there any need of a cold backup? Will it
> make any difference in the time required to reapply the redo logs?
>
> if the redo logs needed for a recovery are only the ones since the
> last hot backup this means that I can make my life easier in terms of
> management of volumes of files by keeping the archived redo logs in
> bundles logically related to each backup episode
>
> Eg (cos I am studying too much Japanese I am starting to doubt my
> english descriptive abilitys)
>
> New database created ... nothing in it handed over the client
> all files are duplicated (initial cold backup)
>
> (a week passes)
>
> hot backup done, and switch logfile called , and all files in the
> "log_archive_dest" are included into a tar file with the datafiles to
> all me
> to any point in that week (assuming no data errors in the act of
> making the
> file) This tar file is then kept with a name that included the date
> and the
> SID.
>
> remove files in log_archive_dest
>
> (a week passes)
>
> hot backup done, and switch logfile called , and all files in the ...
> cycle as above
>
> NOTE I suspect that the archived redo files I have are more applicable
> to the previous backup as they could be applied to that set of
> datafiles to roll forward transactions to make it the same as the
> present archived datafiles.
>

> > But that rather assumes that
> > you will always restore from the last backup. What happens if the last
> > backup is damaged, is missing a file when it comes to be used, or is
> > discovered itself to be corrupt?
>
> the corrupt issue is the biggest snag, as then I would not
> necessarialy have the needed archived redo logs needed for a roll
> forward.
>
> it seems odd to just leave them there, making the amount needed to
> backup bigger every time?
>

> > Then you would want to restore from a
> > previous backup -but unless you've retained the archives since *that*
> > backup, you won't be able to use it. Prudence suggests keeping several
> > backups to hand, and all the archives needed to make sense of any of
them.

> as far as I am concerned (being a hoarder) I will keep all the
> backups, on some kind of media, perhaps after some months making them
> less available by sending them to secure storage.
>

> > Well, moving the "unwanted" archives to offline storage sounds fine.
Simply