Re: hot backup archivelog the online-redo files and Oracle locks up

From: obakesan <cjeastwd_at_powerup.com.au>
Date: 4 Feb 2002 21:16:22 -0800

HiYa

Sensei "Fraser McCallum" <fmcc_at_NOSPAModbaguru.com> wrote in message news:<z7B78.28675$oK1.240240_at_NewsReader>...

> Answers inline with your post.

answers to your questions, and thanks inline with all that ;-)

> Correct, and as you are getting files in the archive log directory when you
> do a switch then it is definitely working.

OK ...

> Try "ps -ef | grep ora" this will list all the background processes (smon,
> pmon, lck, dbwr and lgwr).

ora_arc0_$ORACLE_SID

great ... just wanted to confirm that

> > LOCKUPS
> >
> > One of the reasons why am I asking these things, is that today, when doing

> Are you using OEM or any other monitoring software as these can have
> processes that connect to the database and prevent a shutdown.

not using any...

> What sort of
> shutdown did you issue,

shutdown immediate ...

> Did you try a shutdown abort first?

no, but tried it second when the other hung.

> If the archiver was not switching and
> your logs were full there should be error messages in you log file, found in
> your /bdump directory.

now there is a good question, as there are a number of other files in there, and these seem to be related to only pmon or arc processes. It seems that entries under arc* appear to coincide with my entry of alter database archivelog too ... nice

> Assuming you did a shutdown immediate and could get/had a session in the

here is a segement from the alert log BTW this thing is growin rather fast, presently at nearly 7000 lines and the database is not so old, I should research if is there a process for swapping this

Thread 1 advanced to log sequence 1868
  Current log# 2 seq# 1868 mem# 0:
/u01/app/oracle/oradata/DEV/redo02.log
Mon Feb 4 15:06:16 2002
ARC0: Beginning to archive log# 1 seq# 1867 ARC0: Completed archiving log# 1 seq# 1867 Mon Feb 4 18:16:12 2002
Restarting dead background process EMN0
EMN0 started with pid=17
Mon Feb 4 18:16:13 2002
Shutting down instance (immediate)
License high water mark = 8
Mon Feb 4 18:21:40 2002
Restarting dead background process EMN0
EMN0 started with pid=10
Mon Feb 4 18:21:41 2002
Shutting down instance (immediate)
License high water mark = 8
Mon Feb 4 18:48:06 2002
LGWR: terminating instance due to error 472 Instance terminated by LGWR, pid = 20519 Mon Feb 4 18:51:36 2002
Starting ORACLE instance (normal)

> Your bigest danger is often acidental deletion.... so backup to tape is
> essential.

noted ... I shall do all I can in that area ... but the client does not have or want to buy tape. Best I can hope to do, is stash them in other locations, and hope for the best.

> One more thing regarding backups... make sure anytime you add or resize a
> datafile that you create a backup control file and put it somewhere safe.

yes, Howard mentions this, and I have got that in the backup plan, so far when I issue a alter database backup controlfile to trace; command I just get a script which has (as he suggests) placed in the udump directory containing

STARTUP NO MOUNT
CREATE CONROLFILE REUSE ...
LOGFILE
DATAFILE
CHARACTER SET ... ; RECOVER DATABASE ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVELOG ALL;
ALTER DATABASE OPEN; I guess that the database knows what and where the redo logs are, but there is nothing here to let it know where the archived redo logs are, so I guess it has to get that from the initXXX.ora file

> All the archive log files in the world won't help you recover if you delete
> your control files and have changed your database structure! Actually there
> are ways but having a backup controlfile is by far the easiest.

when you say backup controlfile, are you talkine about a OS based copy of that file. When I query v$controlfile, I get 3 files listed, so I guess these are just redundant copies (for safety?)

my cold backup grabs these and the redo log files so hopefully I am covered there.

thanks for all your time Received on Mon Feb 04 2002 - 23:16:22 CST