Questions about Oracle data stream and high-availability.

From: Nicholas Dronen <ndronen_at_io.frii.com>
Date: 04 Feb 2002 18:55:13 GMT

Hi,

I'm not an Oracle wonk, so pardon me if my questions seem naive.

First, I'm curious what the Oracle data stream is called. Microsoft SQL Server and Sybase ASE use TDS. DB2/UDB uses DRDA. What does Oracle call its data stream? Is the protocol documented?

Second, what sort of high availability solutions does Oracle have? I'm aware that Oracle has clustering solutions on the server side. Does it have any client-side high-availability products (e.g., the OCI app will connect to a secondary server if it can't connect to the first in its list)?

Regards,

Nicholas Dronen

Certified AIX Advanced Technical Expert Boulder, Colorado