Re: archivelog mode switch logfile statement

From: Fraser McCallum <fmcc_at_NOSPAModbaguru.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 18:19:39 -0000

Chris,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with issuing just one log switch at the end of the backup. Yes the archiver process will be shunting stuff out as logfiles fill up. No there are not separate logfiles for each tablespace.

Just guessing but HJR may have setup his documentation to take into account a large database where each tablespaces are not all backed up together, ie doing one a night due to length of time backup takes.... in this case it is not a bad idea to do the system tablespace each night as well.

Kind Regards

Fraser McCallum
MVP Oracle Administration
www.brainbench.com

"obakesan" <cjundieseastwd_at_powerup.com.au> wrote in message news:H3x78.7176$T4.68591_at_nnrp.gol.com...
> HiYa
>
> according to what I have read, when doing archive log based hot backups,
one
> should do an alter system switch logfile at the end of the backup. I
understand
> that this is to flush the redo log files so one can backup all the
relevant
> transactions together.
>
> What I have trouble with right now, is how often should I issue this
command??
> According to HJR's document once per table space. Is this right? Other
sources
> have suggested (so I have noted on google searching) to only do it after
the
> SYSTEM tablespace is backed up, and to make sure that that one is backed
last
> too.
>
> Why? What is wrong with making only one statement alter system switch
logfile at
> the end of the backup procedure, just to flush out the last of the files?
Surely