Re: Is Sr. DBAs afraid of not be able to pass cert exam ??

From: javadude <javadude_at_spamless.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 17:01:32 GMT

Justin John wrote:

> Interesting opion I read from
> http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=20359
> Maybe there are certain degrees of truth in it.
>
> A friend of mine said to me most the sr. dbas are not certified, they hates
> people certified and suggest I don't put certification on my cv.

When I hire programmers and/or DBAs I look first at relevant experience. I don't give much consideration to Certifications other than it tells me that DBA has at least been exposed to material and was able to recall it during a test. Doesn't necessarily mean they retained the knowledge or can apply it in a real world situtation. Another problem is the certifications are 'version dependent'. So, unless you keep up it does not mean anything. Plus vendors have a lot of insentive to come up with new versions as quick as they can both to increase revenue and to fix serious bugs because they rushed the last version. Oracle is no different in this sense. In other words, the cerifications became obsolete about as quick as you get them. But some businesses require them and for me that is about the only reason to get them. I can and do learn the material be reading and doing.

Sure, there are probably Sr. DBAs who are afraid to take the test just as there are certified DBAs who be afraid to be drilled about their certification knowledge. Many certified DBAs were no more or less knowledgable than other non-certified DBAs. Real world experience makes the difference.

A lot of times its knowing that a particular technique exists and where to find the information when you need it. You don't have to remember verbatim the implemention.

Just my opinion Received on Mon Feb 04 2002 - 11:01:32 CST