Requesting second opinion on utilestat report

From: Ed Stevens <Ed_Stevens_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 16:27:50 GMT

Platform: Oracle 8.0.5 se, NT 4

We have one particular app that continues to get user complaints regarding response time. I've spent quite a bit of time with the programmer fixing some queries to allow use of indexes, creating new indexes, and modifying some init.ora parms to influence the optimizer toward indexes. Management is still hammering on me to find a silver bullet. (You know how that goes -- they once saw a DBA cut the run-time of a batch job from 20 hours down to 2 min simply by doing a simple 'x', therefore ALL performance problems can easily be fixed by the DBA!)

Anyway, I have a pretty good idea of some other things that need to be done, but are outside of my control -- at least until network or server admin people make some reconfigurations. What I'm looking for from the group are a few volunteers to take a look at a UTILESTAT report and perhaps some server OS performance stats and render an opinion. This will help me clarify my understanding of some things as well as give me some second opinions to take to management.

If anyone is willing to do this, please e-mail me at ed.stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com and I'll send you an estat report and a log file from NT's perfmon, as well as more detail on the server setup and any other info you might request..

Thanks.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)