archivelog mode switch logfile statement

From: obakesan <cjundieseastwd_at_powerup.com.au>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 14:40:39 GMT

HiYa

according to what I have read, when doing archive log based hot backups, one should do an alter system switch logfile at the end of the backup. I understand that this is to flush the redo log files so one can backup all the relevant transactions together.

What I have trouble with right now, is how often should I issue this command?? According to HJR's document once per table space. Is this right? Other sources have suggested (so I have noted on google searching) to only do it after the SYSTEM tablespace is backed up, and to make sure that that one is backed last too.

Why? What is wrong with making only one statement alter system switch logfile at the end of the backup procedure, just to flush out the last of the files? Surely the archiver process will be shunting stuff out as it fills anyway?? Are there seperate logfiles for each tablespace??? (I didnt think so)

Yours befuddled

thanks again

See Ya

--
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer, Motorcyclist and dingbat

please remove   u n d i e s   for reply