Re: Is Sr. DBAs afraid of not be able to pass cert exam ??

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 10:34:00 GMT

Kirt Thomas doodled thusly:

>problems as they arise. I am the primary descision maker when we add
>dba's and am always very leery of the certified applicants (lol, we
>haven't hired one yet :) - and of the 3 year experts <G> Both

I thought so. In fact in the last 12 months, I have seen NOT ONE new DBA job. And from all the people I've talked to, Larry's little saga of cost reduction has basically removed the DBA job.

It's gone. People just haven't clicked into it. There hasn't been a DBA job advertised in Australia for well over 12 months! A few full-time ones left and that's it.

It's gonna be fun to explain to all the recently OCP-certified people that Larry has destroyeed their cosy "DBA future". I wanna see exactly how Mr. Oracle is gonna get around this "slight problem"! :-D

And what's even more stupid: DBA jobs being by definition part-time, the jobs that have gone are precisely these. Full time DBA jobs are all you can find here and preciously few at that. And the salaries are ridiculously low for the level of responsibility demanded.

Maybe not like that overseas, but it will happen there too. Then it's gonna be real fun to watch the fireworks.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Sun Feb 03 2002 - 04:34:00 CST