Re: Is Sr. DBAs afraid of not be able to pass cert exam ??

From: Kirt Thomas <kremovethisspamthingthomas_at_gfsiinc.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 22:22:03 -0600

this is so well said :) While I'm sure there are good ocp certified dba's, I've yet to meet one. I had one working for me as a consultant that tried to do a file system copy on an open db and couldn't understand why it didn't work. I've only got about 6 years of dba experience under my belt, and would not consider myself a guru of any sort, but I know where to find info when I need it, and can solve most problems as they arise. I am the primary descision maker when we add dba's and am always very leery of the certified applicants (lol, we haven't hired one yet :) - and of the 3 year experts <G> Both categories of folks are hidebound by their own descisions, wrapped to tightly in their own expertise to consult a manual, or learn anything new <G> (I know, I generalize, yadayada).

All that said. I love oracle education - I've yet to have a bad instructor, and always pick up something cool in the classes.