Table Extents Question

From: Pamela Samuels <xyz_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 14:20:57 GMT

Please tell me if my logic has a fallacy. We have a PeopleSoft application that requires the existence of thousands of tables that are used temporarily during the execution of a batch process (App Engine). For our installation, many of the tables are not used, but we are required to create them anyway.

As the program runs, it loads data into them, processes it, then truncates the table.

To conserve space, especially since may are never used, but also to minimize dynamic extent allocation, I have created all these thousands of tables with an initial extent of 16k, and a next of 1m. The thinking is that all tables will be created tightly packed with small extents, and as extents are allocated and then given back with the truncate, having a uniform 1m next will keep the tablespace unfragmented.

Is there a better way of managing this? We don't have the option of using Oracle temporary tables, we have to do it this way. Received on Sat Feb 02 2002 - 08:20:57 CST