Re: archivelog backup and its files

From: obakesan <cjeastwd_at_powerup.com.au>
Date: 31 Jan 2002 22:48:58 -0800

HiYa

"Hemant K Chitale" <hkchital_nospam_at_singnet_nospam.com.sg> wrote in message news:<a3bklb$9c0$1_at_violet.singnet.com.sg>...
> Chris,
>
> Were you sure about which file to be copied
> at the :
> "(from the os copy the file somewhere)"
> stage ?

good point, I was a little hazy, but I figgured it was

select TS# from v$tablespace where name = "currentTableSpaceName";

then
select name from v$datafile where TS# = currentTSNumber

> When you do an ALTER TABLESPACE <tablespace_name> BEGIN BACKUP
> you can backup the datafiles belonging to that tablespace.

hoot ... I am getting this stuff!

> Issue an ALTER TABLESPACE <tablespace_name> END BACKUP
> after you have copied _all_ the files in that tablespace.

does this then allow things to begin writing to that file again?

> The Archived Redo Logs will be continually generated in the
> log_archive_dest --- one archive file for each "filled" redo log.
> You should always do an ALTER SYSTEM SWITCH LOGFILE
> at the end of the backup to ensure that you have all the redo generated
> since the backup began.

OK ... but since HJR's file suggests that I dont need that stuff "except that you should NOT backup the Online Redo Logs" I wasnt sure why I needed them?

But I was wondering how to do point in time roll forward without them?

errmmm ... I am about to post another question, which will demonstrate that I either grasp this, or dont.

Thanks for all your time Received on Fri Feb 01 2002 - 00:48:58 CST