Backup & Recovery/Standby Server Question

From: Jeff <jeff_at_work.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:42:57 GMT

This is from Oracle's 8i Backup & Recovery course book. It's talking about adding datafiles to your standby database.

It says to:
1) Copy the datafile from the primary to the standby database. I understand this step.

2) Add the datafile to the standby database with the ALTER DATABASE CREATE DATAFILE command.

3) Re-create the control file for the standby database.

What I'm confused on is why step #2 (or #3, depending on which you choose) is necessary. If step #2 only creates an entry in the control file for the added datafile, wouldn't this be made moot by recreating the control file in step #3?? What is step #2 doing that step #3 doesn't?

<pause>

Searching Oracle's online docs seems to bear this out here: http://otn.oracle.com/doc/server.815/a67773/standby.htm#2524 in that they don't do step #3 at all, which makes step #2 (they do this) make some sense then.

Now I'm wondering if this is just another error in the course book? If anyone at Oracle was ever wondering how some of those RMAN myths got started, per the metalink document on RMAN myths... *shaking course book* .. here you go. Received on Thu Jan 31 2002 - 14:42:57 CST