Re: Is Sr. DBAs afraid of not be able to pass cert exam ??

From: Christian Svensson <chse30_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 31 Jan 2002 12:18:30 -0800

> >The only one ? How about:
> >
> >- You will get paid more (if your employer agree to this of course)
>
> what's that got to do with OCP? Last I heard DBA jobs are all going
> to support companies in India or similar, so what's the point of even
> bothering? :-D

OK Nuno, the situation may be a bit different here in Sweden, so I cant argue with you on that. But here the employer often encourage you to get a certificate, and if you do, you get some extra bucks to your paycheck. I work as a consultant by the way, so my employer may charge some extra when I will be an OCP...

> >- You will learn more in the studying process, i.e you will be aware
> >of "all" the features/options
>
> you do NOT need a certification for that. A pair of eyes and a good
> book or manual do exactly the same. It helps if the lot is connected
> by a brain, but what the heck.
>
> I also find it's much more cost-effective for anyone to spend money in
> a good book than spend a small fortune in a full cycle of "awareness
> of features".

I totally agree with you, BUT if you can get a certificate as a reward from your studying, then I dont see anything wrong with it. Or ?

> >- You get a written proof of you knowledge (you should of course also
> >have at least a year of practical experience)
>

> No. You get a written proof that you are capable of scoring in a
> "learn by rote" exam. That is no proof whatsoever of knowledge. Not
> in my book.

I respect your opionion, but I dont share it. But I have read about several people who have studied 12 hours a day for 7 days and then taiking an exam WITHOUT even looking at the Oracle database. That my friend, is very sick. And I think its those people that give the OCP a bad reputation.

> >I also want to make it crystal clear that I dont belive in studying 1
> >week about 12 hours a day and then take the exam and you are
> >automatically an Oracle DBA. To be a DBA you need experience, end of
> >discussion. But studying for the OCP is in my mind one way to get a
> >better DBA or to get a better understanding of Oracle.
>
> Sure. You just used the argument I like: "studying for the OCP".
> That is totally different from "memorising for the OCP". Which is
> what most OCP exams encourage.

Ofcourse you have to study and work and testing and trixing what you read. Otherwise you will get just another "certified-trained-monkey" as someone put it. A very good expression by the way.

But I have heard that after you are an OCP the next level is Oracle Master. To be that I think you have to participate in a seminar where you actual work with the software to solve a specific problem. I wonder how many people have that title...

Cheers everyone !

Thanks for my opinions.

/Christian Received on Thu Jan 31 2002 - 14:18:30 CST