Re: Is Sr. DBAs afraid of not be able to pass cert exam ??

From: Bass Chorng <bchorng_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 31 Jan 2002 09:41:12 -0800

"Daniel A. Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message

> And I strongly disagree with your statement "Anyone with half a brain can learn
> everything they need to know about Oracle in a single job in less than a year".
> I doubt there is a single senior Oracle developer or DBA that feels they learned
> everything they needed in three years. In fact the longer I work in Oracle the
> more I realize I don't know.

This is very true. People who think they know everything are usually beginers. In my 3rd year of DBA life, I thought I was very good. This is probably because I have absorbed so much in such a short time and I thought thats all the knowledge you need to be a good DBA. So I started talking and acting like a very senior DBA.

But after 4 years, I realized how much I did not know, including some basic stuff. Now after 8 years, not only that I found more I do not know, I also found what I thought I have known for years were wrong. And I have found in many cases people at guru level are wrong with something I have known for years. And thru my career, I have also found time and time again, those who "talks" like guru are usually adlolesent DBAs only.

For those arrogant "full brain" DBAs out there, believe me, you still have a long way to crawl. Received on Thu Jan 31 2002 - 11:41:12 CST