Re: archivelog backup and its files

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_nospam_at_singnet_nospam.com.sg>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 22:33:01 +0800

Chris,

Were you sure about which file to be copied at the :
"(from the os copy the file somewhere)"
stage ?

When you do an ALTER TABLESPACE <tablespace_name> BEGIN BACKUP you can backup the datafiles belonging to that tablespace. Issue an ALTER TABLESPACE <tablespace_name> END BACKUP after you have copied _all_ the files in that tablespace.

The Archived Redo Logs will be continually generated in the log_archive_dest --- one archive file for each "filled" redo log. You should always do an ALTER SYSTEM SWITCH LOGFILE at the end of the backup to ensure that you have all the redo generated since the backup began.

Hemant K Chitale

"Fraser McCallum" <fmcc_at_NOSPAModbaguru.com> wrote in message news:q4c68.79499$ru2.917130_at_NewsReader...
> Chris,
>
> You are doing nothing wrong.
>
> The archivelog files are created as copies of the old online log files
once
> oracle is finished with them. No archivelog files will be created until
> after a log file is switched, either automatically by oracle or manually
be
> you. During an online backup additional information that is needed by
Oracle