archivelog backup and its files

From: obakesan <cjundieseastwd_at_powerup.com.au>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:57:29 GMT

HiYa folks

I am having some trouble with the basics of back up and recovery and since this is the first time I have done any of this I thought that I would ask a simple question.

I have been following the guidance of the document by HJR who suggests that a hot backup sequence be something like this
(from SQLPlus)

        alter tablespace mydata begin backup;

(from the os copy the file somewhere)

(from SQLPlus)

        alter tablespace mydata end backup;
        alter system switch logfile;

now, my problem is this, I have just changed a new database to be in archivelog mode by using the following
sqlplus /nolog

SQL>
SQL>startup nomount
SQL>alter database mount
SQL>alter database archivelog
SQL>alter database open
SQL>alter system arvhive log start

and of course edit the file init$ORACLE_SID.ora to add the lines

log_archive_start = true
log_archive_dest = "/u01/app/oracle/admin/DEV/arch"
log_archive_format = arch_%t_%s.arc

now my problem is, that there is no file in the log archive dest after I have done this procedure, have I done something wrong?

I wasnt sure, so I tried issuing the command

        alter tablespace mydata begin backup;

which didn't make any file either

I then took the next step of

        alter tablespace mydata end backup;

and then

        alter system switch logfile;

and lo and behold a file appears in the location.

so my question is "is his order right or am I doing something wrong?"

do I have to change file first, then backup that changed file??

Thanks folks

See Ya

--

(when bandwidth gets better ;-)
Chris Eastwood Photographer, Programmer, Motorcyclist and dingbat please remove u n d i e s for reply