Re: Is Sr. DBAs afraid of not be able to pass cert exam ??

From: Keith Boulton <kboulton_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:41:37 -0000

In my short and simple opinion:

  1. Most DBAs do not require the level of knowledge shown for instance by some participants in this forum. Many DBAs I've worked with try to make out that being a DBA is a tremendously difficult job - it isn't.
  2. DBAs DO need to be able to address new problems/situations as they arise - in my experience, this is an attitude, not a skill and is not something people learn over time.
  3. They should never stop learning.
  4. Certification is a largely pointless exercise because certification tests are based on what can easily be measured by computer and so generate a profit.
  5. You cannot tell from the number of years spent doing something if the person doing it learnt anything - it is therefore *foolish* to base a decision on that, rather than an evaluation (based on a structured interview) of a person's skills.
  6. Attitude is more important than technical skill - a good DBA should look at the big picture not just the technical detail of e.g. what is most efficient for the database.