Re: Is Sr. DBAs afraid of not be able to pass cert exam ??

From: Christian Svensson <chse30_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 31 Jan 2002 00:02:35 -0800

> I might agree with you, except that the DBA stream for the OCP doesn't
> mention partitioning once (it's not even on the Performance Tuning course,
> which is madness). It doesn't mention Advanced Replication at all (unless
> you're upgrading to 9i OCP, in whcih case it mysteriously makes an
> appearance). It doesn't deal with Advanced Queueing. It doesn't deal with
> Parallel Server (again, 9i upgrade has 1 rather scanty chapter devoted to
> RACs).

> I'm not saying that the DBA stream is not challenging or informative -look
> at the number of posts we get here for 'why can't I back up my online redo
> logs?', as a simple example. But forget all this nonsense about 'you will
> learn *all* the features of the product'. You won't, simple as that.
>
> If all you have is an OCP, it tells me that you know the basics. Sort of.
> And that's about it. The real nub of complex database administration is
> entirely absent (which is frustrating enough as an instructor, let alone as
> a would-be DBA who actually wants to learn his craft).
>
> Regards
> HJR
Hmmm, maybe I was a bit naive about the "learning all the features". Very strange that they doesnt cover the Partitioning, AQ, OPS or Advanced Replication. I have taken the 2 first exams and are now studying for the Backup & Recovery exam. But I must say it takes a great deal of your spare time to do the studying, because you dont just want to read about it, you also have to work with it and test it and "trixing" with it (a swedish/english word).

I think I have to agree with you that OCP is a written proof that you know the basics of Oracle DBA.

Interesting discussion this.

Thanks.

Regards

/Christian Received on Thu Jan 31 2002 - 02:02:35 CST