Re: too many gets per execution

From: Ted Chyn <tedchyn_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 30 Jan 2002 23:13:33 -0800

"tshen" <tshen01_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<C5368.11956$B94.1771141_at_news02.optonline.net>...
> hi, guys:
>
> several SQL statements, which are huge(join a lot tables and views) and a
> lot of outer joins, those queries kill the CPUs(too many gets per
> executions), since the guy who create those queries insisted that he has to
> do that way(business logical required), and he said those queies was runing
> just fine on sybase, is there any way that I can improve those SQL
> statements performance and leave the SQL statement itself alone,
> by the way, how come the sybase runing those queries is faster? thanks.

tshen:
you need first analyze your queries use explain plan and see whether defining appropriate index will help your joining process. outerjoin is kind tricky because it fix the driving table in a joining process. be careful, index is not always the best solution depending on circumstance. bear in mind table scan is very fast for small to medium size table in the case of merge join.

good luck
ted chyn(tedchyn_at_yahoo.com) Received on Thu Jan 31 2002 - 01:13:33 CST