Problems with 9i Win2k server and UNIX client - academic

From: John Llewellyn <khaladon_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 Jan 2002 20:21:17 -0800

I have two questions, each dealing with problems between a 9i Win2k Oracle server and a UNIX system using pre-8i client utilities. The questions are both semi-theoretical, so I won't be able to provide any additional details, such as error messages, log snippets, etc. I mostly need possible theories on what might be causing these problems.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scenario: A database server running Oracle 8i on Solaris 8 accepts connections from another Unix box running pre-8i Oracle client utilites. The client can connect to and communicate with the database server without any problems.

The database server is then replaced with a Windows 2000 server running Oracle 9i.

Problem 1:
After the "upgrade", the pre-8i utility can no longer log in to the database server. (There is a hint mentioning "trusted logins")

Problem 2:
After Problem 1 is resolved, the pre-8i utility can log into the new database server. Connection logs verify that the pre-8i client is actually connecting. However, the client is unable to actually retrieve data. (I'm really stuck on this one)

Don't worry that this is cheating on a school test of some kind. It is a test, but I'm allowed to get help and answers from anywhere I can, including Oracle :)

Again, any help would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance. Received on Wed Jan 30 2002 - 22:21:17 CST