Re: Is Sr. DBAs afraid of not be able to pass cert exam ??

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 30 Jan 2002 23:55:52 +0000 (GMT)

Tom Dyess <tdyess_at_dyessindustries.com> wrote:

>"Keith Boulton" <kboulton_at_ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > What happens when I type "SELECT ename FROM emp;" at a SQL*Plus prompt
>> > and press return?
>> >
>> > I still can't answer that in enough detail.
>>
>> Enough detail for what? I suspect you can answer it in enough detail to
>> get your job done - which was my point.
>>
>I think the point he was making is the better you understand the underlying
>intrinsics of the database, the better a DBA you will be.

Exactly.

Many of the really tricky problems I encounter are down to database internals at some level. To fix them I need to know what Oracle is doing, why it is doing it, what to do to fix it, and what other effects that change will have.

The easy stuff only involves reading the correct manual.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/