Re: Need help turning OUTER JOIN query into UNION query

From: Andy <enzoweb_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 Jan 2002 15:25:39 -0800

Hmmm. It appears that parallelism is turned on, and the DEGREE on the tables was DEFAULT (which is NOPARALLEL). So Oracle decided to do full table scans. We have set the DEGREE to 1 and now, voila, it's using the indexes.

So it appears that if you have parallel on (parallel_max_servers=5 in our init.ora file) and the Rule Based Optimizer, Oracle forces it to use Full Table Scans unless the tables/indexes have DEGREE set. Well, I never knew that.

We even tried using CHOOSE, and it still did full table scans.

The query now runs in < 1 sec. Received on Wed Jan 30 2002 - 17:25:39 CST