Re: Is Sr. DBAs afraid of not be able to pass cert exam ??

From: koert54 <koert54_at_nospam.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 20:35:12 GMT

> 20. You try to do a select count on a table, but get an error that there
> is a bad data block, yet selecting data by specifying the field names
> returns all of the data fine. How would you go about fixing the problem?
> Archivelog is turned off.

One could answer this very detailed

- depending on the Oracle version (7, 8.0, 8i)
- setting instance variable or use built in package to skip corrupted blocks
- export table or create tables as where rowid (exclude corrupted blocks)
- extract corrupted data out of indexes
- etc .......

but did anyone have the guts to answer with : - yeah well - I would go ahead and use BBED (block editor) and edit the flippin' block
or
- heck - I would use my favorite hex editor and check the 2byte checksum at offset 0x16, verify
the row directory, length bytes in the row header, check the 4 byte block tail ...

coz that would be really cool :-)

"Alan" <alanshein_at_erols.com> wrote in message news:a39jih$16hsai$1_at_ID-114862.news.dfncis.de...
> [...]
> don't know", which was an acceptable answer, so long as they could
describe
> where they would go to find the answer. Unacceptable answers to the tough
> ones were guesses based on thin air. And yes, some OCPs (with little or no
> experience) could NOT ANSWER question #1!!! I put the question in there as
> an easy one to start with to make the interviewees feel comfortable (same
> with #2). I was shocked when the first interviewee couldn't answer it
(#1).
> On #3, these OCPs would always answer with, "I would MONITOR...", whereas
> experienced interviewees answered with "I would DO thus and such..." When
> quizzed further about how they would actually go about SOLVING the
problem,
> the OCPs answered, "I would monitor..." again.
>
> Note that the questions are heavily based on skills and knowledge
acquired
> during experience, rather than from a book. BTW, can anyone here answer
#20?
> (It actually happened to me, but we never expected a real answer, just an
> "I'm not sure, but I would..."). Yes, there may be one or more trick
> questions (with an answer like, "You can't do that")
>
> Also, only experienced interviewees even came close on #13. Book OCPs had
no
> idea at all. So, for your enjoyment...
>
> 1. How would you go about obtaining the system date in a select
> statement?
>

> 2. What is the difference between SYS and INTERNAL?
>

> 3. A query is taking a long time to execute. Describe what you would
> look at to determine the causes.
>

> 4. What kinds of things need to be considered when calculating the
> sizes of the tablespaces for a new production system?
>

> 5. Describe an outer join, why it would be used, and how it would be
> implemented.
>

> 6. Describe a Cartesian product and what would cause this to happen.
>

> 7. How would you go about ensuring that certain rollback segments
are
> on line at startup if the database instance needs to be shut down?
>

> 8. How would you ensure that very large update statements had enough
> rollback space?
>

> 9. Describe the SGA and what it is used for.
>

> 10. How many types of triggers are there? How many times can one type of
> trigger be used on any one table?
>

> 11. What are some of the inefficiencies of using views?
>

> 12. Tell me about a situation in which you had to deal with a difficult
> user, and how you resolved it.
>

> 13. Two new applications are being developed that use different
databases
> (schemas). Some data sharing is needed, but mostly they are separate. A
new
> database server is being ordered to handle the two new systems. It will
have
> 5 hard drives. How would you configure the drives (mirror or not, etc).
How
> would you configure the tablespaces? What recommendations would you make
> improve the situation? What if you had 7 drives? What do you feel is the
> minimum number of drives needed in this situation and why?
>

> 14. What does a control file do in SQL-LOADER?
>

> 15. What does this report tell you (show disk I/O report)?
>

> 16. How would you go about issuing a truncate statement from a stored
> procedure?
>

> 17. What are some of the problems when migrating data from (dBase,
FoxPro,
> Access, etc.) to Oracle via ODBC?
>

> 18. What is a mutating table?
>

> 19. Describe a difficult technical problem that you have solved, and the
> solution you came up with.
>

> 20. You try to do a select count on a table, but get an error that there
> is a bad data block, yet selecting data by specifying the field names
> returns all of the data fine. How would you go about fixing the problem?
> Archivelog is turned off.
>

> 21. A user initiates an update. It is taking a lot longer than expected.
> Is there a way to determine if the update is in process or if a rollback
is
> occurring? What is involved?
>

> 22. How do you use a sequence in an update statement?
>

> 23. Considering that we are not a 7/24 shop, how would you implement a
> backup strategy?
>

> "Keith Boulton" <kboulton_at_ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > Tom Dyess <tdyess_at_dyessindustries.com> wrote in message
> > > Keith,
> > >
> > > You didn't get much out of your first year of DBA work, did you?
You