Re: Is Sr. DBAs afraid of not be able to pass cert exam ??

From: Keith Boulton <kboulton_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 19:30:14 -0000

Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:3c57ea6e.18966445_at_news-vip.optusnet.com.au...

> Exactly! And exactly what is wrong with the format as is. Have seen
> so many "rote" "OCPs" out there it's not even funny!
My objection to the OCP (and MS courses) is that (at least last time I looked), they ask you to answer questions about things you wouldn't do e.g. (if I remember the question):

What command creates a set of tables in a single transaction.

The answer is "create schema". I remember reading about the command and immediately deciding to ignore it because you cannot use oracle specific extensions to the create table syntax like the storage clause.

> Eventually IT managers wise-up and realize they're being had.
No one ever lost money underestimating the punters.

> The solution is to make those certificates true tests of DB knowledge
> and reasoning. But that requires a somewhat more sophisticated
> "evaluation facility" than a template for filtering multiple choices!

I wonder where one would start? Received on Wed Jan 30 2002 - 13:30:14 CST