Re: slow client connections

From: Ed Stevens <Ed_Stevens_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:50:58 GMT

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 07:03:25 GMT, "A Wong" <ajkwong5_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>User have an application login account and all these accounts use a common
>database login account. Application login is for the front-end application,
>and database login connects them to the Oracle database. It seems that the
>application accounts that are used lots respond really slowly. Less heavily
>used accounts fair much better. But overall, there has been a decrease in
>performance. How could I find out why this is happening?
>
>(same as one of my old postings, thought I'd repost)

I looked up your old posting to see if there was any more info available. You mentioned there that when you first installed, a TNSPING took 20 ms, now it takes 200 ms. You need to be aware at this point that TNSPING only goes as far as reaching the listener and verifying that the database is known. It never even connects to the database. In fact, you can successfully TNSPING a database that is shut down. That being the case - - - - you can safely eliminate the database itself (its structure, its memory allocations, its disk arrangements, etc.) as being a part of your problem.

And to add to that, if the app always connects to the database with the same ORACLE userid but performance varies from one APPLICATION userid to the next you can also elimnate the database as the source of connect time problems.

I think it safe to say you have either a networking or an application issue.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)