Re: Reposts all over the place

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 30 Jan 2002 15:42:56 +0000 (GMT)

Ed Stevens <Ed_Stevens_at_nospam.noway.nohow> wrote:

>I was going to ask the same thing. I'd guess that 80% of the "new" headers
>today were "REPOST:" of previously downloaded msgs. Eagerly awaiting
>an answer.

There's somebody, or a group, calling themselves "The Unacanceller" who is vandalising newsgroups by sending forged control messages to cancel other people's articles.

Somebody else is attempting to repair this damage by reposting the articles, however they mark these as "REPOST", since they are not entirely identical to the original article. It's not ideal, but probably better than the original information being lost.

Personally, I'm marking all REPOSTs as automatically read, but going back by hand and reading them if I'm interested in a given thread.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/