Re: clients experiencing slow connections...

From: Pete's <empete2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 30 Jan 2002 06:10:42 -0800

Have you tried running a SQL trace on a session with poor performance?  Set timed_statistics=true to get timings. Once you have a trace file, then you may use tkprof to format the trace file. Ex. of tkprof

tkprof ora_somedb_11111.trc output.text explain=username/password sys=no sort='(exeela,fchela,prsela)'

This will sort the output by execution elapsed, fetch elapsed, parsed elapsed. It should show whether the application that is running, may not need to be tuned, however, in my experiences, that is never usually the case.

In regards to the amount of memory you have allocated for Oracle and Paging. I would check the following parameters and add up the memory used: DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS(note that this is the number of blocks for the buffer cache, take this times your block size), SHARED_POOL, SHARED_POOL_RESERVED_SIZE, JAVA_POOL_SIZE. These should give you a good idea as to how much memory is allocated to Oracle. It is also important to note how many users are logging onto the instance since each user is assigned some memory outside of the Oracle Instance. So, if you're paging quite, you could be paging out the SGA which is really bad. If this is the case, consider adding more memory or reducing the size of the SGA.

Another performance tuning item, if this an 8i db, install and run STATS Pack. This will give you hit ratios of the buffer and library cache and a ton of other information.

HTH
Pete's