Re: fragmentation analysis

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 20:30:27 +1100

Fragmentation of tablespaces is *not* a performance problem, it's a waste of space problem. Look elsewhere if poor performance is the symptom.

But, just out of interest, issue the following query:

select tablespace_name, count(*), max(blocks), sum(blocks) from dba_free_space;

If count(*) goes through the roof, and max(blocks) sinks to the floor, you've got lots of pieces of free space, none of which is very big -and that's fragmentation. You could also be moderately concerned if max(blocks) is a tiny proportion of sum(blocks) -it indicates much the same issue.

Regards
HJR

Oracle Resources: http://www.hjrdba.com