Is Sr. DBAs afraid of not be able to pass cert exam ??

From: Justin John <DontBotherwith_at_fake.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:17:05 -0800

Interesting opion I read from
http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=20359 Maybe there are certain degrees of truth in it.

A friend of mine said to me most the sr. dbas are not certified, they hates people certified and suggest I don't put certification on my cv.

I am a senior DBA and I am certified. I was in an OPS seminar recently where there were senior DBAs from several Scandinavian countries, most were certified. I have met non-certified senior DBAs, they are mostly people who got into the business when there was no certification, they simply know how to do the daily tasks, but they don't know all possibilities and methods Oracle offers. If they want to become certified, they will have to learn all the stuff. They might not want to do that because they might not need it in and you see, there is always the chance that they fail the exam. Imagine such a senior DBA coming to work after the exam, all the guys asking: Well, how did it go?, and he say: Well, I did fail. How will that reflect on his reputation? An Oracle employee from a central European country told me once that this fear of not passing the exam is the reason why some Oracle employees do not attend the exams. You know, not everybody passes the OCP exams :-) Received on Tue Jan 29 2002 - 21:17:05 CST