Re: 9i server performance, 5 million hits per second?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:15:03 -0000

Nice line of analysis -

I stopped after using my (very simple, rather crude) approximation that you can get

    10,000 logical I/Os per sec per 100MHz of CPU

    5,000,000 queries per sec =

        15,000,000 LI/Os per sec (per 3 blocks) =
            1,500 x 100MHz of CPU =
                150 GHz of CPU

Looks like a 75-way NT box running 2GHz chips, or does anyone do a box with more CPUs ? Maybe the old Pyramid RM1000 with 1,024 x 200MHz chips ?

Then you have to start allowing time for contention

Is it possible the intention was 5M queries per hour ? Unless my arithmetic skills are really packing up, to get 5M per second, every person on the planet would need to fire off a query every 20 minutes ;)

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Now running 3-day intensive seminars

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of: