Re: Peculiar Listing

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:58:19 +0100

On 29 Jan 2002 06:23:43 -0800, ibdel_at_hotmail.com (IB) wrote:

>When I issue
>select segment_name,tablespace_name
> from user_segments
>where SEGMENT_NAME=<tablename>;
>
>I get the table and segment associated with that table
>
>However
>if i issue
>
>select table_name,tablespace_name
>from user_tables
>where table_name=<tablename>;
>
>I get a blank for the tablespace name. Has anyone seen this? Might
>this be a bug in Oracle??????
>

>IB

Of course, anything you don't understand is always a bug! Come on! And of course no mention of version and platform (probably too much trouble)
Please check what kind of table it is. If the table is partitioned or it is an IndexOrganizedTable or belongs to a cluster, the tablespace column is going to be blank. Oracle developed those features without fully revising the dictionary, so they were more or less smuggled in, resulting in anomalies like this.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Jan 29 2002 - 11:58:19 CST