a "LOCAL" materialized view

From: Vsevolod Afanassiev <vafanassiev_at_aapt.com.au>
Date: 28 Jan 2002 15:16:28 -0800

Wouldn't it be nice to have LOCAL materialized views - in the same sense as LOCAL indexes for partitioned tables? Indeed, an aggregared MV is likely to be built on a large table, and such table is likely to be partitioned, with some partitions being populated (using INSERT or direct load) and other partitions being truncated. Fast Refresh works after insert or direct load, but does not work after ALTER TABLE TRUNCATE PARTITION as Oracle does not know that my MV is equipartitioned with the table.
I found that it is possible to get similar functionality by manually truncating MV and then declaring it "fresh":

alter table facts_table truncate partition ... alter table facts_table_mv truncate partition ... alter materialized view facts_table_mv consider fresh;

Is it correct approach?

Regards,
Sev Received on Mon Jan 28 2002 - 17:16:28 CST