Re: How to CLONE a database.

From: Ron Reidy <rereidy_at_indra.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:27:56 -0700

Andrej wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to make a runnable copy of production database.
>
> I would like to clone a production database. Then I could run a clone of
> database for development/testing purposes.
>
> The perfect way would be just to copy a datafiles and trick control files
> somehow.
>
> The full import/export does not work with my forms application.
>
> Please, share your experiences - how to make a perfect runnable copy of an
> Oracle database ?
>
> Platform = Unix (aix), Oracle = 8.1.7.
>
> TIA,
> Andrej

1. Take a hot backup (if in archive log mode) of all the data files, archived redo logs, init files, password file, and backup the control file to trace (very important).
2. Copy all of the hot backup files to your destination. 3. Edit your init file to set the paths of control files and archived redo logs for the new machine.
4. Edit the control file to trace created in step 1 to correctly point to all the files for this instance.
4. Start up the instance as specified the the control file to trace created in step 1 and recover the database.

Viola!

--
Ron Reidy
Oracle DBA