Oracle 8i [8.1.7] installation on solaris 8 dies in post install data base creation

From: Bob Jaques <bob_at_cablecar.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 21:21:04 GMT

I am having a problem installing oracle 8i [8.1.8] standard server on Solaris 8.

The installation goes fine. After the installation the sample data base creation fails
at 82% [ constantly at 82 % ] with "RA-3114 not connected to oracle"

I tired running dbaccess manually and db creation fails also.

I think something crashed and I am not sure what. I think its the data base server
I do seem to have a listener running. I cannot login to sys with sqlplus

How do I restart the database manually?

I did install this once and it worked but we decided to move drives and I deleted the
install removed the var/opt files and redid the environment variable and this started.

I am running on a 420 with 1 gig of memory. its lightly loaded plus I am installing on a 28 gig drive.
Note I am installing both db and server on the same drive and I know there are performance limitations
down the line but this db is for validation testing not performance.

thanks

         Robert Jaques
               MNP Inc.
         email bob_at_cablecar.net