Re: Full table scan query

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:53:23 -0000

>> It is actually documented somewhere that Oracle
>> will attempt to obey an index hint - even if it is a
>> very bad hint.

Try as I might, it would not use my hints - and I made sure that they were correctly formed.

>> I don't recall if you tried the query with just:
>> index(alias)
>> this should have made Oracle choose one of the
>> available indexes,<SNIP>

I didn't try that option. If I can get the database to 'go wonky' again, and stop using the index, I'll certainly try it out.

>> I was thinking more of
>> the problem of a typo in the index or alias name, or
>> the bug with the pl/sql parser needing an extra
>> space after the '+' to interpret the hint correctly.

It was plain SQL as opposed to pl/sql, and the space after the '+' was checked to be there.

Thanks again,

Regards,
Norman.

PS. Your 3 day seminars look interesting, I wonder if my financial bods will let me go on one ....... Received on Mon Jan 28 2002 - 09:53:23 CST