Oracle client won't start with IP but will with server name

From: Brian <bkantar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 Jan 2002 06:27:21 -0800

We have been running oracle for about a year and have been using a shortcut of :

http://server_name:8000/OA_HTML/US/PROD_j.htm

on our client's Windows NT machines to launch the Oracle Client. Now, we want to use the server's IP Address in place of the server_name, but when I try:

 http://ip_address:8000/OA_HTML/US/PROD_j.htm

 I get "Page Not Found".

My being a Network Admin, not a DBA, doesn't allow me the knowledge about Oracle to figure out what is wrong. I can ping Server_name and also resolve it's IP Address to Server_Name and visa versa. Why can't I hit the server with the shortcut of:

http://ip_address:8000/OA_HTML/US/PROD_j.htm

 but can with:

http://servername:8000/OA_HTML/US/PROD_j.htm?

 Oh, I'm testing this internally at this point in time, so external factors shouldn't apply.

Many thanks for any help!

Brian Received on Mon Jan 28 2002 - 08:27:21 CST