Re: Full table scan query

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 08:46:21 -0000

Morning Jonathan,

The hint was correct - I didn't fall into the old problem of having a comma between the alias and index name. The hint was indeed ignored.

As for the optimizer ignoring the hint, I think it could be down to index statistics, or similar, but I'm still a little puzzled as to why, for reasone that will become clear.

When we built a new index on the leading column only, that index was used.
When we hinted to use the existing index, that hint was ignored. When we hinted first_rows, that hint was used and the results were back in 40 millisecond, rather than 35 seconds. Nice. Unfortunately, our performance team have found that setting the first_rows hint on, results in slower responses elsewhere in the application (the app allows us to hint first_rows, or not, for the whole application, not selectively) so we had to look again at the problem.

We had just computed statistics and still we got a FTS. Finally, in a fit of desparation/inspiration we rebuilt the ignored index - suddenly, we are using the index and not the FTS.

When we checked with the customer, thay had not been rebuilding their indexes on a regular basis, and when they did, they stopped getting the FTS on this particular query, resulting in a much improved response time.

I'm loath to leave it at that until I understand what is going on, but for now, the customer is happy, while the developer and I are somewhat puzzled - still.

Regards,
Norman.

PS. Will look into 10053 and see what I get. Thanks.