REPOST: Re: About connecting to Oracle through internet

From: Mark & Kristi Wagoner <mwagoner_at_iac.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 17:13:04 -0500

There are several options, depending on how much code and/or data you want on the pocket PC.

Using Oracle Lite would allow you to access a subset of the data while disconnected from the network. OL takes care of all the "plumbing" necessary to keep the data synchronized, but you have to implement the system as batch-processing. Rapidly changing data on the server is not reflected on the pocket PC until the next time the user synchronizes. This setup requires both code and data on the client.

You could also implement an app on the pocket PC that connects directly to the server over some sort of network connection. I don't know if you can get OCI drivers for the pocket PC (I kind of doubt it) so you may have to do a Java app using thin JDBC drivers. This has the advantage of real-time data access but at the expense of a network connection. If the user can connect directly to the network, they would probably prefer to use a desktop machine, so this is probably better suited for a wireless setup. However, being on-line over wireless like this can get expensive. Not to mention, the login time over a wireless connection is probably horrendously slow.

The other option would be to put an app server between the database and the pocket PC so the only software required on the client would be a web browser. All of the code resides on the app server. You still have the expense of a wireless network connection, but if remote access is really a requirement, this is probably the route I would choose.

"GhostRecon" <shyan_at_cse.cuhk.edu.hk> wrote in message news:a31iln$rg6$3_at_eng-ser1.erg.cuhk.edu.hk...
> I want to write a Java program on a pocket PC with Windows CE installed.
> The program should be able to connect to an outside database through
> internet.
> I find that there is a product called Oracle Lite. I have tried to
> installed it an investigated the sample code.
> I find that the sample code can only connect to the local device (pocket
> PC) only. It cannot connect to an remote database.
>
> If I want to connect to the outside database(a normal Oralce database
> installed in a PC), what should I do?
>
> --

This message was cancelled from within The Unacanceller's glorious new software, Lotus 1-2-3 For Rogue Cancellers. Received on Sun Jan 27 2002 - 16:13:04 CST